Sunday, July 27, 2014

Engineers: What a Bunch of Bastards

I have a Bachelors of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. Did you feel your heart skip a beat? I get that a lot. Because it has become common knowledge that engineers are pretty damn smart, and we're really experts on everything. Just the other day, I was on Facebook, and I saw the following advertisement. And I thought, "finally, here's a shirt that tells everyone how smart I am. I don't need to begin every conversation with 'I have a Bachelors of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering'".



Of course I'm being facetious, but there are a few engineers out there who feel the need to flash their credentials when they want to justify their viewpoint. Undoubtedly, if you are reading this post, you have probably seen this Common Core worksheet criticism shared on Facebook.

BjNTz9DCcAAG7d2

Note: This person has a degree in "Electronics" Engineering. To be clear, that's not the same as Electrical Engineering. My degree means I'm much smarter and not nearly as pretentious.

I also recently encountered this critique for a problem on Illustrative Mathematics.

""I believe this problem is way off base. The purpose of the problem is to make use of finding areas of simple polygons. What do 6th graders know about buying paint? I guarantee that not one 6th grader will get this problem right. I got it wrong and I was an engineer and a math major in college. A friend got it wrong and he's a retired math professor from U of Arizona. If I were a parent and my kid brought this problem home, having had it marked wrong I'd be furious and would be writing this letter to the school instead of to you. It's things like this that make kids hate and fear math, as well as not learning it well." -peejay

Seriously, peejay? What do 6th graders know about buying paint?!? Are you kidding me? They know what paint is. They know how to buy things. I don't think it's that foreign of a concept to them! And a math professor from the University of Arizona also got this wrong? I don't think that the University of Arizona wants you publicizing that a retired math professor couldn't solve a sixth grade math problem.

I'm sure that the majority of educated people who attempt these problems (non-engineers included) will have no difficulties in understanding or solving either. And thankfully for us, none of this silent majority felt the urge to tell the internet that they could successfully solve a sixth grade math problem. But here we are, giving credibility to people who claim to be engineers. We assume that these people are great at math, and therefore can make valid claims about math education.

Here's where I come in. I was an engineer. And when I decided to become a teacher, I felt a lot like the people I described above. I was always great at math and thought that my profession gave me insights into math and teaching that many others didn't have. And then I taught my first year and I was terrible.  I knew how to do math, but I didn't understand it. And I certainly couldn't communicate it to others. It took me a while to realize that how I was taught was wrong. And I needed to change my viewpoint to make sure that I don't do the same injustice to my students.

We need to give credibility to the people who are actually in the classroom. These are the voices that deserve this credibility. So please don't assume that someone claiming to be an engineer on the internet is justified in criticizing mathematics education. Credentials do not win arguments.

15 comments:

  1. Haha! I never realized how I do this with my brothers. It is some sort of status thing to mention that someone is an engineer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate on your post.... and I got an usefull information about the matter... I just tried to write the same post...
    Test and Tag brisbane
    rcd testing services brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Test and Tag Brisbane is devoted to making sure that the test and tag method has negligible effect on your company.
    We are committed to working with you to attain the top effects,
    we can be obtained immediately after several hours to scale back interruption to your business.

    Test and Tag
    Test and Tag brisbane

    ReplyDelete

  4. In a world where the environmentally friendly choices are looked upon favourably, solar is a great option for powering your home.
    Having solar panels installed on the roof of your home is a great way for every consumer to make a environmentally friendly contribution to the environment.
    Today there is more attention than ever placed upon each individual in society to watch their own carbon footprint.


    electrical services brisbane
    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete
  5. Electrical contractors are competent to help homeowners turning their home improvement into a reality as they are trained and
    licensed to become professional and responsible on safe electrical services.
    Electrical contractors are being utilized for a multitude of services around BRISBANE.


    electrical services brisbane
    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete
  6. Test and Tag Brisbane have many years of working experience, and possess the know-how,
    abilities and qualifications to assist you with your test and tag requirements. Test and Tag Brisbane have superb expertise in the test and tag business,
    so you realize you will not be Enable down by Test and Tag Brisbane.

    Test and Tag
    Test and Tag brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Test and Tag Brisbane is devoted to making sure that the test and tag method has negligible effect on your company.
    We are committed to working with you to attain the top effects,
    we can be obtained immediately after several hours to scale back interruption to your business.


    Test and Tag brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brisbane Electrical contractors are residential electric contractors who can help installing new light fixtures such as chandeliers,
    light and smoke detectors, power points and safety switches, telephone and television points, cooker connections, pool wirings as well as other rewiring tasks.
    They provide wiring services for all residential and commercial maintenance and installations.



    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powersure Electrical can also be the main solar power program professionals in Brisbane,
    we have already been setting up these methods for many years and will help design and put in photo voltaic methods.
    With our solar tips and set up you could become energy self adequate.



    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete
  10. By using the solar power themselves, Brisbane solar system owners avoid having to purchase expensive power from the grid.
    Electricity from solar systems automatically flows into the home/businesses where it is located first



    electrical services brisbane





    ReplyDelete
  11. An employer should be sure that a document is designed and stored of all inspections and tests built and servicing performed on electrical articles.
    The provisions for your test and tag of kit in the workplace are set out in the subsequent related acts and legislation.

    Test and Tag brisbane

    ReplyDelete


  12. I never found any wonder article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me.i think, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did,
    the internet will be much more useful than ever past.we have some more information,please visit,


    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new regulations services that all category used in a hostile operating environment is Independent Test And Tag.
    The definition of a Independent Test And Tag is much the same as the current legislation,
    and business therefore not notice much of a change in this area of the new Regulations.we have more,

    Test and Tag

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a plan to share this site to my friends because I really like your post about electricians. Keep on sharing!

    Get more tips and ideas here.

    ReplyDelete