Monday, September 23, 2013

My Son's Bedroom

Disclaimer: No math here. Sorry.

Due to some recent events, I had to sell my house. This isn't a huge deal for me. A house doesn't mean very much. The things inside it don't mean very much. But to my son, this house and the things inside it mean a great deal. He likes the neighborhood. He likes his yard. He likes his friends. He never wants to leave.

For the past couple of weeks I've been packing every room in the house and the thought of leaving really hasn't bothered me that much. It has felt more like a hassle than anything else. But tonight, I finished packing my son's bedroom, and when I finished, I saw an empty room which was once filled with toys, and paintings, and planets. I am dreading the moment when he sees it too, and he realizes that we really are leaving.

I thought that I didn't care about this house, but because my son loves it so much, I do too. I am so sorry for what he has been through and continues to go through every day.

People say that kids can overcome obstacles...that they are "resilient". That's a load of crap. My kid shouldn't have to be resilient.

2 comments:

  1. This is deeply personal and moving. Thank you for sharing. I had never thought about this either, but I know we will be moving at some point as well. I wonder how my girls will feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending vibes, Nathan. Kids are resilient because resiliency is a survival mechanism. Here's hoping you guys soon shift from surviving to thriving.

    - Elizabeth (@cheesemonkeysf)

    ReplyDelete